January 11, 2022
Dear Overland Families,
We have always approached our Covid-19 policy with thoughtfulness, and we follow the best available—and ever evolving—public health guidance.
We consider the health and well-being of:
(1) our students,
(2) our leaders,
(3) our staff,
(4) the areas we travel through, and the people we interact with,
(5) and the families and communities we return home to at trip end.
Looking ahead to summer 2022:
1. Per the guidance of public health officials and our camp physician, we will require all eligible students (and all of our leaders and staff who are eligible) to be fully vaccinated for Covid-19, and to stay up to date with their vaccines (i.e., for ages 12 and up boosted when eligible).
2. For our international trips, we will need each of our students to be in compliance with travel requirements for the countries they visit (we expect these requirements to be in flux this winter and into the spring).
3. We will update our Covid-19 policy as needed throughout the spring and into the summer.
Everyone here is committed to supporting each of our Overland families—please reach out to us with any questions you might have.
With our very best wishes,
Tom & Liz Costley
Thank you for your support—we appreciate it!
Will Overland consider changes to its policy if public health guidance changes?
Yes, we always have, and always will. Given that the summer is months away, we expect to continue to see changes in the pandemic. We also expect there will be changes to public health guidance. For example, as of this writing—1/11/2022—the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) urges children and adults to get the Covid-19 vaccine and booster as soon as they are eligible. If this recommendation—as well as the other guidance we follow (our camp physician, the CDC, etc.)—were to change, we would adapt accordingly.
Is every student considered eligible for the vaccine and booster?
Please reference the CDC’s most recent guidance to determine your child’s vaccine and booster eligibility here.
Here are two important parts of this link:
(1) Who should get a booster: Everyone 12 years and older (boosters are not currently available for under 12s).
(2) When to get a booster: At least 5 months after completing your primary COVID-19 vaccination series.
Once my child is enrolled for the summer, where do I upload the vaccine card / booster information?
Please log into your family portal, click on Covid-19 Vaccination, and upload the card where indicated.
If my child has had Covid-19, do they need to be fully vaccinated and boosted?
If they are eligible, yes.
What does Overland expect students to do to practice excellent hygiene while traveling to trip start?
Please wear a mask and maintain social distance from others in airports. While in flight, please wear a mask at all times. Wash your hands frequently.
What happens if a student tests positive during the trip?
We will make our decision with a focus on: (1) everyone’s health and well-being, (2) the group’s location, and (3) the trip’s itinerary and activities.